Thursday, January 25, 2007

Kensington Grill

Nothing like a Friday night happy hour to cap off your week! Once again, my father and I ventured out into the culinary world to try something new. We decided to hit up the Kensington Grill.

We got there very early, right before opening. However, the hostess kindly let us in and sat us at the bar. Once we were able to order, I ordered the Blueberry Lemon Drop and my father ordered a Sidecar. The Stoli Blueberi added a very nice compliment, and I definitely enjoyed it... rather them.

I checked out the menu, and the menu is very creative. The flavor combinations are very modern without getting lost in an avart-garde fog. I ordered the quesadilla of the day, which was pork, cheddar, and apple with a very nice pico de gallo on the side. The blend was so well done, and I enjoyed the smoky flavor of the pork with the cheddar. The presentation was neat and attractive - an acheivement for my favorite, albeit, messy appetizer. My father ordered the fried calimari, which came in a fun bowl presentation. I wish I could give a better description, but I am allergic, so I tragically leave the review to my father. "It's good." Not much, but he also did not come up for air until he had eaten the whole thing, which is his true stamp of approval.

Since I was denied a tasty seafood treat by the fickle finger of genetics, I ordered the chocolate pot de creme for a dessert. To the chef, thank you! Thank you a million times over for realizing that chocolate dessert does not need to be overpoweringly sweet! The texture of the creme was spot on, and the topping was not burned. For a lot of places, that alone is praiseworthy. The true chocolate flavors give the dish a beautiful aroma that you simply don't get anymore - chocolate without a serious candy bar bent.

As happy hours go, when you see a spot as full as the Kensington Grill is, you may wonder what the big deal is. The prices are right, the service is excellent, and the ambience is relaxing. You will not be disappointed!

Kensington Grill
4055 Adams Avenue
San Diego, CA 92116

No comments: